8 de octubre de 2012

Karol Lipinski - Trío Opus 12 & Polonaises Opus 9 - Kulka, Gebski, Chmielewski, Wróbel - POLISH VIRTUOSO MUSIC VOL.2 -


“Karol Józef Lipiński had become a classic of Polish violin art [...]. He was also considered to have been the best composer of Polish music before Chopin and Moniuszko. For half a century he was widely acclaimed in Europe as an unequalled master of the violin and Paganini’s rival.” This is what Józef Władysław Reiss, a leading authority on Polish music history, wrote about the most renowned Polish musician of the pre-Chopin era who ranked among the greatest Romantic virtuosos (J.W.Reiss, Polskie skrzypce i polscy skrzypkowie «Polish Violin Art and Polish Violinists». Łódź 1946).
Karol Lipiński was born on 30 October 1790 at Radzyń Podlaski. His father, Feliks Lipiński, employed as the chief musician on the estate of the Potocki family, very early started giving his son music lessons. In Józef Powroźniak’s monograph on Józef Lipiński (PWM Polish Music Publishers, Cracow 1970) we read that the little boy demonstrated his exceptional violin playing skills at the tender age of seven. In 1799 the Lipińskis moved to Lvov after the Sapieha family had become the new owners of the Potockis’ estate. The new environment, which differed much from Radzyń’s manor house atmosphere, made great impact on the gifted boy’s development. At that time Lvov was being transformed from a provincial town into a major centre of Polish cultural life. The changes were advocated by many well-educated people who made a contribution to stimulating the city’s intellectual life. The Lvov press was instrumental in this process. In 1811 the Lvov Gazette was launched and six years later a weekly cultural-literary supplement “Rozmaitości” (Variety) was added to it. The city’s intellectual life was stimulated also by “Pamiętnik Lwowski (The Lvov Diary), a literary journal started in 1816, later turned into a monthly, “Pszczoła Polska” (Polish Bee), and next into “Pamiętnik Galicyjski” (The Galician Diary). The process of intellectual revitalisation was greatly aided by the establishment in 1817 of the National Institute, housing books and collections of coins, medals and maps, which its founder, Józef Maksymilian Ossoliński, had amassed during his lifetime. Also Lvov University, established in 1661 by a founding deed signed by King Jan Kazimierz, played an important role. Following the first partition of Poland, on 15 September 1772 Galicia and its capital city Lvov became a province of the Austrian Monarchy. A few years later German became the language of instruction at Lvov University, which was obviously in the Monarchy‘s national interest. With time, however, a Polish language and literature department was opened at the University (1826) and thus Polish people’s expectations were met.


Trio in A major, Op.12 for 2 Violins and Cello
Espressivo
Andante
Rondo

Polonaise in A major, Op. 9 no. 1 for 2 Violins, Viola and Cello
Polonaise in E minor, Op. 9 no. 2 for 2 Violins, Viola and Cello
Polonaise in D major, Op. 9 no. 2 for 2 Violins, Viola and Cello

Konstanty Andrzej Kulka, Solo Violin
Andrzej Gębski, Violin
Grzegorz Chmielewski, Viola
Andrzej Wróbel, Cello

A WORLD PREMIERE RECORDING

Karol Lipiński in Lvov